Four tips for working with your strategic plan
For many agencies, a new year signals the launch of a new strategic planning cycle. Are you ready? Here are four tips to help you bring in the New Year with better teamwork and greater effectiveness:
- INFORM AND COMMUNICATE
Communication is one of the most important elements of a successful strategic plan. You virtually grease the wheels of your organization when everyone is well-informed and the lines of communication are open. Start by checking to see if all staff members and board members have the most recent version of your plan. Then, whenever you redistribute your plan, remind everyone of the important role they play in your agency’s success.
Are you celebrating your successes? Many of the steps that it takes to achieve an agency’s goals often get overlooked. Important tasks that contribute to progress get buried within the rest of the workload and don’t get the recognition they deserve. And, considering the size of the workload these days, well, it’s amazing that work on strategic goals gets done at all. Be sure to take time to celebrate all of the jobs “well done”!
- PUT FUNDS WHERE THEY MATTER MOST
Are the strategic goals of your agency properly funded? Some organizations overlook their goals when it comes time to set their annual budgets. Don’t let that happen to you. The New Year is a great time to ensure that you have allocated sufficient human and financial resources to support your agency’s objectives and goals.
- RESPECT YOUR GOALS
Clear the way for purposeful and organized efforts for the New Year by reducing what I call your “strategic clutter.” For example, have you set goals during a planning retreat or board meeting that you realize are no longer relevant or wise? Do they show up on paperwork, seeking attention, waiting for someone to pick up the ball and run with it? If a goal no longer applies, give yourself permission to remove it from your plan. Your strategic goals should be dynamic enough to change with your business, or abandoned if they no longer speak for your organization. Scrubbing goals to make room for more important ones keeps your plan relevant.
There’s never a “wrong” time to update your strategic plan. Call Ron with questions or concerns you have about yours.
- Uncovering Your Agency’s Personality - April 17, 2017
- Communicating Your Strategic Plan - March 7, 2017
- Goal Execution - January 28, 2017
- Ron Woodbury Consulting Now Serving Las Vegas - January 15, 2017
- Steer the New Year in the Right Direction - December 11, 2016
- A Shared Vision is a Shared Understanding of your Strategic Plan - October 19, 2016
- The Road to Success is paved with Simple Solutions - August 3, 2016
- Website Design – St. George, Utah - July 2, 2016
- Total Cost of Ownership Revisited - December 12, 2015
- How Many Visions Does Your Company Have? - December 1, 2015